The Ultimate Nine -Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Dish
Updated: Jan 11
Southern baked macaroni and cheese, also called soul food mac and cheese, is the ultimate comfort food. Creamy, rich, ooey-gooey, super cheesy, crispy browned cheese edges, one can resist perfectly baked mac and cheese. When it comes to macaroni and cheese, there are far more variations than there are in Southern states. I would describe this Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese as food for your soul. This version of My Southern Mac and Cheese is designed explicitly with a twist. I am using a Cast-iron Dutch pot for cooking and a mixture of different cheeses that you usually wouldn’t see in a Southern-style baked mac and cheese. Macaroni and cheese are a “sure thing” when entertaining. It never ceases to amaze me how it continues to delight kids of every generation, and kids of all ages gravitate to it no matter the occasion or what other dishes are being served. You can double or triple the ingredients if you prepare this for a large part.
1 or 2 lbs. Barilla Elbow Macaroni (or pasta of Choice)
1 lb. Sharp cheddar cheese cut in chunks
2 Cups Mozzarella cheese
2 cups Swiss Shredded Cheese
2 Cups 4 Cheese Mexican Blend,
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Pecorino Romano Cheese
1 1/2 sticks Land O Lakes unsalted butter
3 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
2 large eggs
2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. white sugar
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1. First, start by cooking your Elbow pasta according to the packages. I do add one tsp. of sea salt. And 2 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil.
2. Drain the macaroni and add 3/4 stick of melted butter.
3. If cooking in cast iron, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. If cooking in glass, preheat to 400 degrees F.
4. Now set macaroni aside and allow it to cool for 10- 15 minutes.
5. Begin to coat the dish you are using with butter or vegetable oil
6. Now the fun parts begin. Begin to build your macaroni and cheese. First, add a single layer of macaroni. Then, add a light layer of mozzarella, sharp cheddar chunks, and 4 Cheese Mexican blends. Next, sprinkle Parmesan, then the Shredded swiss cheese, and lastly, the Pecorino Romano Cheese.
7. Repeat. Add a layer of macaroni followed by layers of all the cheeses in that direction.
8. On the last layer, which is the topping add the 4-cheese Mexican blend. By topping with the four cheese blends is the color of your Mac and Cheese. Give it a beautiful professional look to your dish.
9. In a food processor or blender, combine 3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 Tsp. Sea Salt, 2 eggs, and 1 tsp. White sugar. Blend for about 15-20 seconds.
10. Pour the wet ingredients gradually into the center of the macaroni.
11. Sprinkle a light layer of Sweet Hungarian Paprika
12. Cover the dish with a lid or foil, and put in the oven for 30 minutes
13. After 30 minutes, remove the Top or foil and cook for 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it for the last ten minutes so that you DON'T blacken the Top. The Top should be evenly browned. If the Top begins to get too brown, put the lid back on or tent the dish with foil. Depending on your oven. It sometimes it will, cook for less than an hour
14. The final; step is to test the center of your Mac and cheese to ensure it's not running. Place a knife in the center of the dish. Remove it to see if the Mac and cheese stick to the blade or if your knife comes with liquid. Just place it back in the oven for 10 minutes.
15. If your dish is cook correctly, let it rest for 15 minutes before serving